Published on July 28th, 2015 | by makesupply0
Slim Leather Card Wallet Template – Build Along Tutorial
This is a build along video for the slim card wallet template. If you wish to purchase the template:
- Standard Letter Size (8.5″ x 11″) Template
- International – A4 Size (210mm x 297mm) Template
- ETSY – Standard Letter Size (8.5″ x 11″) Template
- ETSY – International – A4 Size (210mm x 297mm) Template
It is an instant digital download so you can get started right away. If you have already purchased the template thanks a bunch! Continue below.
Need help with hand-stitching? Check out our saddle stitch tutorial.
Inventory of Tools
- North America/Canada – Standard Letter Size (8.5″ x 11″) Template
- 110-Lb Card Stock Paper
- No.2 X-ACTO Knife
- Wing Divider
- C.S. Osborne Scratch Awl
- Tandy Pro-Line Diamond Stitching Chisels – 2mm / 4 Prong
- Tandy Pro-Line Diamond Stitching Chisels – 2mm / 2 Prong
- Tandy Stitching Needles
- Wood Slicker
- Craft Sha Edge Beveler #1
- 15″ Cork Back Metal Ruler
- Royalwood Waxed Irish Linen Thread – 7-ply / White
- Elmers Pro-Bond Glue
- Various Grit Sandpaper (120 grit and 240 grit)
- Binder clips
- Rubber Mallet
- Block of Leathercraft Wax
- Piece of canvas cloth
- Cup of water
Leather Selection Suggestions
In this video we used 3-4oz. Hermann Oak natural vegetable tanned tooling leather sourced from Goliger Leather. If you are just looking to purchase a small amount of something similar for this project I suggest this product from Springfield Leather. It is the exact same weight as the leather in the video. If you are outside of the USA I’m not as privy on suppliers. However you could try one of these Madison Shoulders – 1.2mm/1.4mm from A & A Crack & Sons. They have an awesome selection of leathers available to ship worldwide.
For this slim card wallet I would suggest using leather in the 2/3oz or 3/4oz range only. The type of card wallet is often keep in ones pocket and if it’s too thick it can be uncomfortable.
If you are not using a vegetable tanned leather to create this slim card wallet your edge finishing guidelines will probably be different. Chrome-tanned leathers and extremely soft leathers like sheepskin are difficult and sometimes impossible to burnish by hand. If you would like to follow this tutorial to spec, we would suggest acquiring a burnish-able vegetable tanned leather.
Guidelines of Template Usage
We put a lot of time and effort into producing these templates, videos, and blog posts. Please do not distribute the template you have purchased from Makesupply. It’s not cool and hurts our feelings. However, you are free to do whatever you want with the end product you create using the template design. Even sell them on Etsy!